Custom Google Search Engine

By WdchenWdchen (1261280785|%a, %b %e at %I:%M%p)

A new and improved way to conduct searches!

Overview

Creating a Custom Google Search Engine is very simple and can save you a lot of time in the long run. Essentially, it compiles all of the various URLs (pages, websites, subsets of sites) that you find useful and creates a search page out of it. Everything is completely customizable to how you see fit. You input the URLs and then the Custom Google Search Engine generates the results accordingly.

Untitled1.jpg

Selecting URLs

When deciding which URLs to select for the Custom Google Search Engine, I first selected those that I knew for sure to be relevant. These consisted of websites such as, AOL Crime News, CNN Justice News, NBC Crime Reports, and many others. For these first few sites that I have entered so far, the results prove to be useful almost 90% of the time because of the category classification that they are featured, which is that of crime. The rest of the 10% account for news that occur outside of the US. Specifically, the topic that I have chosen is focused primarily on crime and violence that occurs within the US and therefore, anything occurring outside the boundaries is irrelevant.

However, I am still not fully complete with the Custom Google Search Engine. My plan is to continue to further explore various URLs and add them to the search engine when necessary. The way that I will be analyzing the URLs will strictly depend on the results produced. The guideline with these will be a 65% benchmark. If ~65% of the results from a particular website are relevant, then I will add them into the Custom Google Search Engine. Otherwise, they will not be added, because that defeats the purpose of even creating a customized search engine. If you are going to obtain results that are still irrelevant, then you might as well be searching blindly on any random search engine. The URLs that provide fewer than 65% of relevant results will still be documented, so that the user will be able to scan the list of "bad" sites and not waste time using those.

Untitled1(1).jpg

User Friendly

After reading thus far, I am sure that you can be assured that I plan on using a Custom Google Search Engine. Once the leg work of finding the important sites is done you can quickly be on your way! One thing to keep in mind, however, is that you can always continue to add/delete to your search engine. If after a certain period of time, you find that the results generated are not useful anymore, you can delete URLs and add ones that are more useful. As seen in the image above, you simply click on [Create a Custom Search Engine] and follow the directions from there to get started. Having this search engine would extremely be vital for an individual strictly concerned with finding the last breaking news regarding crime and violence. Especially because this job requires a lot of work and there's just not enough time in day, a Custom Google Search Engine would

  • save a lot of time
  • produce predominantly relevant results
  • be easily accessible

Results (Google Search vs. Custom Google Search)

Here, I will provide you with an example to demonstrate the effects and capability of the enhanced Custom Google Search Engine compared to the regular search on Google. I will just do a generic search using the query [crime violence] to show that a Custom Google Search Engine really does provide substantially better results compared to conducting a regular Google search. Through this comparison, I will be focusing on the first 5 results in both:

Custom Google Search Engine Google
Untitled1(2).jpg
Untitled.jpg

The intent of creating the Custom Google Search Engine is to improve on the search results. The goal is to help you find the latest articles related to [crime violence] and the Custom Google Search Engine did just that. As you can see from the comparison above, Custom Google Search Engine produced relevant articles on recent news in the top 5 results, while as, the Google provided several definitions for the top 5, which are not useful at all!

Conclusion

A Custom Google Search Engine is another extremely useful tool in simplifying the search process. Users are able to compile pertinent URLs of various sources into a list and conduct queries accordingly. This minimizes the amount of time that you need to spend on submitting queries and maximizes the results in terms of relevancy.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License