By Wdchen (1258565882|%a, %b %e at %I:%M%p)
Newly implemented Google SafeSearch
How often do teenage parents suspect their children to be watching explicit material? How many times have teenagers been caught watching explicit material? My hope is that not many kids have been caught because it can get be pretty awkward in that situation. At least that's my opinion. Perhaps, for some it may prove to be a good parent to child teaching experience.
Results that appear after conducting a query can be out of your control, unless you place filters on the website. In most cases, you simply type a query into the Search Toolbar, and wait a few seconds before the results are provided for you. However, with the new Google feature, SafeSearch, you can be assured that your results are being filtered before you see the results on your screen.
Google SafeSearch is a feature that allows you to essentially, filter out sexually explicit websites and images from your set of results. Although being 100% accurate is not possible with this filtering feature, or for any filter for that matter, Google SafeSearch aims at helping you to avoid any content that you may not wish to see or that you may not wish for your children to see.
- The only way to take the SafeSearch off is by knowing the password. This prevents any child from finding a loophole.
- There is a distinct difference in pages with SafeSearch as compared to one without. This purpose is to ensure that the feature is in full effect.
Google SafeSearch allows you to have three different options.
- Moderate Filtering- Filters most Google Image Searches, but not through ordinary web searches.
- Strict Filtering- Filters through all websites along with images
- No Filtering- Turns SafeSearch completely off
First, here are the results without a filter. As you can tell on the right, I have provided only the top 3 results that are generated from the query, but after seeing only the first result, you can already make an assumption that explicit materials are not filtered out of this search.
Next, we continue with the same query sex, but this time we will have the new security feature, Google SafeSearch turned on, to filter out inappropriate material. I have opted for the Strict Filtering, because the Moderate Filter only filters images and not websites.
Notice, the difference between the results on the bottom left hand side, as opposed to the results at the right. After conducting the same query within the same Google search engine, the results generated are completely different. This is due to the Google SafeSearch feature. No longer are there sexually explicit materials found due to the filter, unless there is a website that hasn't been registered into the blocked list yet. Google is working diligently at trying to cover all sexually explicit sites so they will be filtered out when the feature is turned on.
If you notice the image at the left, there are also several bubbles on the top corner of the page. This indicates that the SafeSearch is on and functioning. Not only did Google find the bubbles to be effective at determining whether or not the SafeSearch feature was on, but it also adds a colorful addition to the page.
Google's intention in dominating the search engine experience is very apparent. Not only have they catered to every day users, but they have now enhanced their security features to cater to families. With the Google SafeSearch feature, it gives parents the peace of mind they need when they allow their children to browse the web.
The internet can indeed be a dangerous place for children, because in this day and age, literally anything can be posted. There is no monitoring system of what goes up on the internet, so safety features and filters like these can truly enhance the web browsing experience.
Pros for Google SafeSearch
- Provides you with options on what level of filtering you want
- Colorful bubbles help you to easily determine whether or not the SafeSearch is on
- Proven effective through filtering sexually explicit material
Cons for Google SafeSearch
- SafeSearch needs to be applied to every brower on your computer in order for it to be in full effect
- Clearing all of your browser's cookies will disable the safety feature and therefore will have to be reapplied