By joshuaaa (1260911887|%a, %b %e at %I:%M%p)
(Tap tap) Yup, it's me. Here are a few things I'd like you to consider while grading my project.
The parcel delivery industry has become one of the best economic barometers of our time. How many packages people send and receive depends on how much money they have at their disposal, which depends on how well the economy is doing. With the increasing influence of online marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay, delivery services are become more and more important, not only in the United States, but throughout the entire world.
These are things I never even came close to thinking about before this project. A lot of the information that I have come across during my research has made me think about some interesting questions, such as:
- How much longer can the United States Postal service, one of the oldest government agencies, remain in existence when it's standing to lose almost $4 billion dollars per year? What are their plans to pull themselves out of recession?
- With the increasing number of packages, delivery trucks are causing more and more of a threat to our environment. What are delivery companies doing to ensure that they remain environmentally responsible?
While the topic may not seem interesting at first glance, I encourage you to look into this topic and give it a chance. Sometimes it's not about what's in the box, but rather about what the delivery of that box can tell you about the world in which you live.
For the Professor: Tips & Treats
- First things first — I really liked my wikidot theme… until I discovered that almost everyone else is using it. Back when all of our sites were private, I opened each home page to see what themes were being used and noticed that this was the most popular theme by far (at least around the beginning of December; some people may have changed theirs). I didn't want to keep this theme due to its non-uniqueness, but after looking at some of the other themes, I just had to stick with this one. Here's why:
- It is the most space efficient. I was able to fit a lot of information in the top half of the screen, which I remember you saying was important.
- It looks the most professional (that may be an opinion).
- It is the only theme that allowed me to configure the side navigation bar to appear the way I wanted.
- Did you see the social bookmarking function at the bottom of my homepage? Does anyone else have it? It not, jump to number 1. If so, jump to number 2.
- Bonus points for finding something so completely applicable to our class and integrating it onto my page!!
- Yeah, I'm probably not that special. I think it's a cool addition, if not just for the color it adds.
- Some industry updates may be shorter than others. Some industry updates may be longer than others. I did my best to fill my industry updates with near-daily news tidbits, but some weeks just didn't have enough news to do so, hence the missing dates.
I hope you enjoy looking through my project, and I look forward to hearing your feedback. I wish there was actually a person stepping in for me and maintaining this website — now that I've found out how interesting this topic can be, the only thing I can think of that is better than keeping this website updated by myself is having someone else do it completely for me. Any takers?