These instructions are for Bloglines users only. The following describes how to share your list of RSS feeds (otherwise known as a blogroll).
- Go to your Bloglines account.
- Get it so that your feeds on listed on the left.
- At the top of the panel on the left, click on “Options”.
- Click on “Blog Settings” at the top.
- For “Show my Blogroll” (not Blog), ensure that the radio button for “Yes, publish my Blogroll” is selected.
- Click on “Save changes” at the bottom.
- At the bottom of the panel on the left, click on the “Share” link.
- Notice the bold URL under “/public” near the bottom of the right panel. This is the URL that you can give to people to share your list of RSS feeds.
- You should create a menu choice in your wiki that points to this URL (with your public blogroll).
- Make sure your bloglines username is in the username field, and then put _top in the “Link Target” field.
- Click on the “Generate HTML” button.
- Note the second link of code that begins with http://rpc. Call this whole line the RPC URL.
Now that you have the RPC URL, you need to get the blogroll into your wiki. What you would like to do is to insert a script tag within your page, but wikidot does not yet support inserting a bloglines blogroll. Thus, what we're going to have to do is to create a Web page on your personal Web site (at umich.edu), put your blogroll on that page, and then insert that page (from your personal Web site) into your wikidot site. It's too complicated, but we'll see if we can do it.
Create a text file on your local computer called blogroll.html with the following content (use NotePad, not Word — it needs to be plain text!) and save the file in C:\TEMP:
- Log on to your MFile space.
- You should already have Public/html directories. Navigate to within them if you do. Talk to me if you don't.
- Create a folder named bit330f08 within this folder.
- Upload the file you just created into bit330f08.
- Verify that you can see this file in your browser: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~UNIQNAME/bit330f08/blogroll.html
- If you can see the file, then continue. If you can't, then talk with me.
- Go to your wiki and create a page called blogroll. The contents should be the following (be sure that you change UNIQNAME to your uniqname.
[[iframe http://www-personal.umich.edu/~UNIQNAME/bit330f08/blogroll.html scrolling="yes" frameborder="0" border="0" width="30%" height="420px" style="face: Arial; font-size: 10pt;"]]
Once you have saved this page, your blogroll should appear.