- There was a reorganization of the Course Website so be sure to check it out. It now includes a Current To-do List so hopefully that helps with trying to figure out when assignments are due and reduces the amount of confusion.
- Today, as Professor Moore states, is best day for class exercises because it provides tools that can be used by literally ANYONE
- The main focus of today's class is to go over the various news search engines and how they can be applicable to not only your daily life but also to the searches for our term project.
- Listed below are some of the various News Providers, but of course the list is not limited to only these. Please feel free to add anymore as you find them!
The more you know, the better off you are. Knowledge can never hurt you, so keep updated!
Searching for News
- Using one of the tools stated above will help you to figure out a way to stay on top of the news. All of these sites do all of the work for you. You only have to enter in a search query!
- There are numerous resources out there that will put together a list of news articles that you are interested in. Utilize them properly to stay current and up-to-date with the events that are happening all around you.
- Why is a News Search different?
- It allows you to find legitimate sources for news.
- The articles provide with you the following information, such as, who wrote it and what it is written for.
- 4 Desired Features for News Searches
- Response time
- Before technology became so advanced, it would be faster to wait for the evening news than to go online and search for the newest and latest breaking news
- After submitting a query, the results for a news search tend to be pretty accurate and relevant to what you are looking for. Of course, it might depend on the topic, but for the most part, news searches will generate quality results.
- Update speed
- Essentially, we are able to find out the latest news as it happens in real time. Within minutes of the event, articles about it will quickly be posted on these various search sites.
- Quality of sources
- If you're getting news articles, you want them from a voice you can trust.
- Response time
- Word Phrases
- In order to generate more accurate results, you can expand the scope by paying attention to these key words.
- All of the news articles are sorted by the date the news article was published, so you don't have to scroll around to find the most recent.
- In terms of a news story, we often think about the following: Who, What When, Where, and Why? These provide you with accurate and pertinent information regarding the event.
- The source is the article's origin. Where is this article coming from? Is it from a credible source?
- Source location
- This is essentially the location from where they are featuring the story from.
- About location
- RSS Feeds
- With the RSS Feeds, you will be able to subscribe to the news that interests or is relevant to you. Therefore, you will be able to have a steady stream of articles directly sent to your feeder, without you have to do any type of query.
- Search on stories to help weed out irrelevant results
- Helps to find stories, such as, by: Tom Friedman instead of about Tom Friedman
- Google News
- This application features news articles that are constantly updated so that readers are able to browse through and find the latest news
- Features various sections depending on what kind of news you want, such as World, Entertainment, Sport, etc..
- Yahoo News
- Has a similar set up to Google News providing you with the latest news and then various categories for you do to a quick scan.
- Google Fast Flip
- Similar to a PDF representation of the "first page" of website
- Fast Flip allows you to do a quick scan of the news articles and if one particularly interests you, then just click it to view.
- Google News Timeline
- These news articles have been scanned and archived from past years.
- They allow you to go back in time and read up on past events.
- Searches are based on using keywords
- The results are featured in a Textual analysis, which help you to understand what the story is about
- Searches are based on relevant topics.
- The results are listed in a categorical manner, where you are able to do a quick glance and find articles that you are interested in or will be able to use for the term project.
These exercises will help you utilize and get more efficient with these news searches. It would be a good idea to work on these to help you get used to these various tools.
The reason that I have these posted is just so you are able to reference back to everything we did today. Hopefully the instructions have been clear enough for you to get a good idea of how to make the most of News Searches
We have learned most of the tools that we will be needing for our term project, so keep on plugging away at collecting information. We will need to be using relevant data throughout the span of this semester, so you can't procrastinate! Continue saving the relevant searches and collecting data that will be useful for the project. These can be saved either on your chose RSS Reader, or for single articles, since we haven't learned to filter yet, you can save them on your Notes section in your Wikidot.