10 Real Time Information
We learn about real time information exchange and social networks, and get an introduction to real time search tools.
- Go through “At beginning of class” information
- I'll lecture for a bit — but no slides today
- Work on today's exercises
At beginning of class
On your own
- Read the current to-do list on the course home page.
- No grades (too much other prep going on)
What I'll cover
- I loaded all of the slides from this semester for each day I did a lecture.
- RSS search experiment results
- Search engine analysis assignment
- When Twitter results are included with other results, they overwhelm everything else.
|Uses of Twitter|
|For business||For personal|
|polls||stay in touch with friends|
|advertise events||share photos, videos|
|follow what people are saying about your product||monitor what's really current|
|reminder of events and information||get answer to a question|
|bring attention to Web items, YouTube|
|provide personal touch with customers & clients|
- bit330 realtime at delicious
- The ultimate guide for everything Twitter
- An Illustrated Guide To Using Twitter
- Hashtags explained
- 50 Useful Twitter Tools for Writers and Researchers
- Scoopler (about)
- OneRiot (about)
- Collecta — realtime search for blog posts, articles, comments, twitter, flickr, twitpic, youtube
- MicroPlaza — "welcome to your personal micro-news agency. Discover relevant information filtered by the people you follow."
- Surchur — "the dashboard to right now";
- Addict-o-matic — "inhale the web"; instantly create a custom page with the latest buzz on any topic
- seems best for actively tracking a topic versus coming to it with a random query
- Yauba — search that tries to be all things to all people
- FeedMil (about) — "real-time feed search"
General search based on real-time information flow
- Topsy — "a search engine powered by tweets"
- Search at Twitter
- Tweetzi (help) — "real-time Twitter search & trends"
- TweetMeme — "hottest links on twitter"
- TweetGrid (how-to, FAQ) — "create a Twitter search dashboard that updates in real time."
- CrowdEye (about) — "what all the twitter is about"
- Twitter Power Search
- BackType (about) — "a conversational search engine"
- TwiST — "Twitter Search Tool"
- Combining Twitter search with regular Web search
- TwitScoop (watch the live buzz cloud; search; hot trends)
- Twazzup — "search twitter. get real insights."
- Twendz (about) — "exploring Twitter conversations and sentiment"
- Twopular — "trends on Twitter aggregator"
- Twemes (about) — "twitter memes — global tags for twitter" (hashtag grouping and searching)
- Twitt(url)y (about) — "We track and rank what URLs people are talking about on Twitter."
- Retweet Radar — "Finding trends in the mountains of information 'retweet'ed on Twitter."
- Trendistic (help) — "see trends in twitter"
- TweetVolume — find out how frequently specific words appear in tweets.
- NearbyTweets — finds tweets in your neighborhood
- AskTwitr — look at tweets on a map
- TrendsMap — "real-time local Twitter trends"
- Twittorati — "Twittorati tracks the tweets from the highest authority bloggers, starting with the entire Technorati Top 100 and soon including many more of the web's most influential voices."
- TwitSeeker (about)— "who you're looking for…by what they're talking about"
- Twibs — Twitter business directory
- LocalTweeps — "a ZIP-code level Twitter directory"
Other Twitter tools
- BackTweets — "search for links on Twitter"
- Cloud.li — real time cloud generation of search results
- TwitterFall — "Twitterfall is a way of viewing the latest 'tweets' of upcoming trends and custom searches on the micro-blogging site Twitter. Updates fall from the top of the page in near-realtime."
- PollDaddy — polls on Twitter
- TwitLinks — "The latest links from the worlds top tech twitter users."
- MySkyStatus — Real time flight tracking updates. Shows your flight's location to twitter and facebook followers
- TwTask — manage to-do lists from Twitter
- Twit2Do (faq) — "create to-do lists with twitter"
- Postica (faq, twitter) — create and share sticky notes across the Web
Other real-time tools
- uberVU (tour, tools) — "easy way to find and follow conversations"
- ReadTwit (about)— converts Twitter feed into an RSS feed (with URLs un-shortened, filter users in/out of feeds, and filter out #hashtags).
- Near real-time search on Google
- Enable real-time updating of RSS feed readers from publishing blogs
- TweeTree (about) — "we built this site to help us better use Twitter"
- TweetCloud — "what's being said?"; gives you a tag cloud that helps summarize the tweets of a specific user. Can help you decide whether or not to follow a twit.
- Twitter Karma — helps you see whether or not you are following your followers, whether your followers are following you. (Click on the "Whack!" button after logging in to Twitter.)
page revision: 25, last edited: 17 Dec 2009 19:39