18 Geography Based Sites
We discuss all types of geography-based search tools and resources.
- Go through “At beginning of class” information
- Go through diagram explaining the tools we'll be looking at today
- Work on exercises (tweets)
Here's what we're doing today:
- Mostly just you exploring some amazingly cool and useful Web resources.
International, country-specific Web search engines
- SearchEngineColossus.com: "International Directory of Search Engines"
- Yahoo International: Yahoo home pages from countries around the world
- Google Maps (tour, popular content, featured content)
- Google Maps Mania: "An unofficial Google Maps blog tracking the websites, mashups and tools being influenced by Google Maps."
- 100 things to do with Google Maps mashups: the most fun you can have with maps.
- Related tool: Google Earth
- Google Sightseeing: "Google Sightseeing takes you on tour of the world as seen from satellite, using the free Google Earth program, or Google Maps in your web browser. Each weekday your guides James and Alex present new weird and wonderful sights as suggested by readers."
- Articles analyzing the industry
- Standard travel search tools
- Newer general travel search tools
- Kayak: travel aggregator; searches 140+ travel sites with one search (review, another review)
- TripWolf: worldwide travel guide (review)
- UpTake: "your first step on a great trip"; "search over 1000 travel websites and 20M opinions at once" (review, review)
- WeGo: "Wego searches through 100+ travel sites in the time that it takes you to search one. We’ll help you find the best prices and connect you to the best place to buy." (review)
- Goby: "Create your own adventure" (review)
- Bing Travel: "Bing Travel Price Predictor tells you whether fare prices are expected to go up, down or stay the same."
- Hotel, home, and hostel search
- Specialized travel information
- Ixigo: travel in India
- Biggest players
- Newer entrants
Road trips and driving
- Driving directions
- Driving itineraries
- Traffic information
- Outside the U.S.
- Streetmap.uk: Great Britain street and road maps
- Australian driving directions: Australian travel maps, street directory, driving directions, and aerial photographs
- European driving directions (ViaMichelin)
- Mappy.com: European maps, route plans, and address guide (by country; look in upper left of window)
- TheAA.com: routes, maps, and directions for U.K. and Europe
- Zoombu: "Find the best way from your home to your destination", door-to-door journey planner for Europe (review)
- Public transit
- How to use Google Maps to plan a trip by public transportation (cities included)
- HopStop: Provides door-to-door subway and bus directions and maps for NYC. Currently expanding to other major cities. Very popular in Manhattan.
- NYC subway
- Google Transit: plan a trip using public transportation
- PublicRoutes: "get public transit, driving directions, and maps" (review)
- US Maps
- World Maps
- Map Machine (National Geographic): political or satellite maps of anywhere in the U.S. or world
- Mapquest world maps
- Multimap maps
- Holt, Rinehart, & Winston maps
- Maps made for printing and copying (National Geographic)
- Atlas Explorer (National Geographic): tool to explore geophysical and geopolitical maps of the world.
- CIA's World Factbook: maps of every country in the world
- Historical Maps at the Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection at the University of Texas
- Maps of current interest (from Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection)
- Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection (Univ of Texas)
- NationalAtlas Map Maker: build your own layered map with a wide variety of information
- WorldMapper: "a collection of world maps, where territories are re-sized on each map according to the subject of interest. There are now nearly 600 maps."
- Animation: be sure to check out this animation
- World Sunlight Map: "Watch the sun rise and set all over the world on this real-time, computer-generated illustration of the earth's patterns of sunlight and darkness. The clouds are updated every 3 hours with current weather satellite imagery."
- National Geographic Atlas Explorer: "investigate our world"; a visual guide to global trends
- EarthPulse: State of the Earth 2010
- EarthTools: "find places, latitude/longitude, sunrise, sunset, elevation, local time, and time zones"
- AuctionMapper: search eBay for auctions (info)
- Oodle: buy and sell locally (classifieds)
- LiveDeal: online local marketplace
- Zillow: "your edge in real estate"
- ZIP Realty: "your home is where our heart is"
- Trulia: real estate search
- RealtyTrac: "foreclosure real estate listings"
- Roost: "homes for sale and MLS listings"
- HomeFinder: "homes for sale, real estate listings & foreclosures"
- ActiveRain: "world's largest real estate network"
- Smaller sites
- GMap Pedometer: plan your walking trips and measure their length
- Wikimapia: a mashup of Google Maps and Wikipedia. Completely addicting to explore.
- MapMyRun: a tool to plot your running route and see what the distance was
- The World Clock - Time Zones: Current local times around the world
- Greenwich Mean Time: use this to set your clock to the right time whereever you are
- World Time Zone: find the time using a map
page revision: 36, last edited: 17 Dec 2009 19:45