We discuss social news and bookmarking sites.
At beginning of class
- Test information
- Timing of the test — Wednesday, December 2?
- Cut-off date for modifications (questions, notes, etc.)
- Nigel Melville
- Describing with tags
- Types of social sites
- Social News (based on tagging)
- Search & Internet marketing
- For researchers & scientists
- Social Bookmarking (based on voting)
- Social activity (e.g., shopping)
- Social News (based on tagging)
- Features & dimensions
- Current (e.g., "what's hot")
- Time periods (e.g., "last hour", "today", "last week", "last month")
- Topic categories (e.g., "business", "entertainment")
- Tags (both personal and shared)
- Discuss the sites
General market size information
The following series of charts shows the relative traffic for several social news and/or bookmarking sites.
From the first, you can see that the traffic at these sites have shrunk over the last 18 months. About mid-2008 you can see a big jump in the traffic for Delicious — this is when it was renamed from del.icio.us to its current name. This first chart shows the three largest social news sites (except for Yahoo! Buzz) and the largest social bookmarking site.
The second image shows four smaller social news site (with reddit shown as a comparison since the scale of this chart differs from the first). SlashDot is a technology-focused social news site. You can see that it has lost 75% of its daily visitor volume in the last two years. Mixx had a 3x growth from mid-2008 to mid-2009 but most of those extra visitors are now gone.
The third chart actually shows two (not three) bookmarking sites In mid-2008 the site del.icio.us changed names to delicious. This site lost 2/3 of its daily visitor volume in the last two years. As you can see Diigo is much much smaller than delicious. There's really not much competition in this market.
Social News sites
- Digg (about, tour, search): "Digg is a place for people to discover and share content from anywhere on the web… We’re here to promote that conversation and provide tools for our community to discuss the topics that they’re passionate about." (Propeller is quite similar to this.)
- Yahoo! Buzz (about): "The buzz can be about anything — from breaking stories on major news to viral videos on personal blogs. Instead of editors, people like you submit the stories and "buzz up" the best ones."
- Reddit (about, search): "reddit is a source for what's new and popular on the web — personalized for you. Your votes train a filter, so let reddit know what you liked and disliked, because you'll begin to be recommended links filtered to your tastes."
- StumbleUpon (about, video intro, guide, search, Rating on StumbleUpon): "StumbleUpon helps you discover and share great websites. As you click Stumble!, we deliver high-quality pages matched to your personal preferences… This helps you discover great content you probably wouldn't find using a search engine." This site could also be considered a social bookmarking site.
- Fark (about, help, search): "Fark.com, the Web site, is a news aggregator and an edited social networking news site… The idea was to have the word Fark come to symbolize news that is really Not News."
- Mixx (about, tour, search): "You find it; we'll Mixx it. Use YourMixx to tailor the content categories, tags, specific users and groups, and we'll deliver the top-rated content as chosen by you and people who share your passions. So go ahead and whip up your own version of the web. Just tell us how you like it Mixxed and we'll deliver the best the web has to offer"
- NewsVine (welcome, help, search): "At Newsvine, you can read stories from established media organizations like the Associated Press and ESPN as well as individual contributors from all around the world. Placement of stories is determined by a multitude of factors including freshness, popularity, and reputation. Contribution is open to all, and editorial judgement is in the hands of the community."
- Slashdot (about, help, search): "News for nerds. Stuff that matters."
Social Bookmarking sites
- Delicious (about, video tutorial, help, getting started, search): "Delicious is a social bookmarking service that allows you to tag, save, manage and share Web pages all in one place. With emphasis on the power of the community, Delicious greatly improves how people discover, remember and share on the Internet."
- Diigo (about, video tour, tour, search): "Bookmark, highlight, and add sticky notes to any web page. Organize your bookmarks and annotations by tags or lists. Multiple ways to share your bookmarks and annotations."
Social activity site
- Kaboodle: "Have fun shopping with friends, share, and discover new products."
- General articles
- Social bookmarking sites
- Articles on folksonomies
- Articles on tagging sites
- Tag, you're it: Scientists describe collaborative tagging sites like delicious (at Scientific American)
Possible blog topics
- Compare either Digg or Yahoo Buzz to one of the other social news sites.
- Compare delicious and Diigo.