03 Wiki Instruction Day
We'll go over techniques and tricks related to using this wiki, which will also be the host of your term project wiki.
At beginning of class
- See if there are any questions about the assignment that students got last class.
- Note that students should check the announcements on the Web site on Sunday evening, Tuesday evening, and Thursday evening. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.
- Students have their next assignment today: Search tool overlap data. This is due a week from today. Explain the assignment.
- Today we're going to learn about wikidot, get an idea of how to use it, get more familiar with working with a wiki.
- Wikidot is the host of the course Web site, but it's also going to be the host of your term project Web site.
- You are a member of the course Web site, and you will be the administrator of your own term project site. This means that, while you have total and complete control over your own site, you also have the ability to edit and create pages (but not delete them) within this course Web site.
- I will expect that you will be a very good user of this wikidot site by the end of the semester. Maybe you won't be an expert, but you'll be able to make a wiki that is filled with properly formatted content and useful navigation.
- The exercises for today's class can be found here.
During and after today's class
- Complete all of today's exercises before next class.
- Think about what you might do for the term project.
- Next class you will turn in the first assignment.
Questions posed during class
- What does the pound sign mean in the menu bar (top menu bar)?
- It means that the menu item cannot be followed — generally it's a menu header or divider.
- How do you delete pages?
- Use the "site options" button at the bottom of the page.
- How do you edit pages?
- Use the "edit" button at the bottom of the page.
- How do you list the pages on the site?
- Use the button on the side bar that says "List all pages".
- Can you have the top menu bar automatically update with the most recent blog entries (or whatever)?
- Yes, and you should look at the code I use to generate the "Announcements" on the first page, and then you would have to put this code in your nav:top page.
- How do you put an image hosted on mFile on your page?
- The instructions are discussed on this page.
page revision: 1, last edited: 23 Nov 2009 15:13