Web-based information resources
This is the home page for BIT330, “Web-based information resources”, taught by Scott Moore (drsamoore on Twitter; course twitter bit330) at the Ross School of Business in Fall (September—December) 2012. This site has all the information you will need for this class, including assignments and the schedule.
This course will be taught MW4-5:30pm. It will be delivered mostly online via pre-recorded video. Students will only infrequently need to actually attend class. I will have frequent online office hours via Google Hangouts. There will be lots of twitter usage, and participation will be related to completion of online activities. This course has no prerequisites and is available for sophomores, juniors, & seniors.
If you're wondering why you might want to take this class, then you should watch this video (this is old but it will do for now; I will update it).
Wikis, Blogs, Web search techniques (4 days), Resource evaluation, RSS (2 days), Blog search, News, Twitter (2 days), Automation tools (ifttt?, Pipes), Image Search, Pinterest, Page monitoring, Research tools, Change notification, Video, Geography (foursquare, yelp), Social (digg, reddit), People; Custom search engine?; Metasearch? Other search?
Tools of interest (from 2009)
- General — Google, Yahoo
- Blog — GBlog
- News — GNews, SiloBreaker, NewsSift
- Academic — GScholar, Scirus, GBooks, Biznar
- Alerts — GAlerts, WatchThatPage, FeedRinse, Yahoo Pipes, Dapper
- Custom Search — GCustom Search Engine
- Images — GImages, Compfight (for flickr), Exalead Images
- Analysis — GTrends, Alexa
- Video — Bing Videos, YouTube, Hulu, GVideo, VideoSurf
- Metasearch — Info, Kosmix, Search!O
- Social — Digg (news), Delicious (bookmarking)
- People — WhitePages, Pipl